HOWTO: Create Gmail Labels on Your iPad / iPhone

Lately I have been a bit frustrated when using the iPad / iPhone Mail program with my Gmail account.  I use the Gmail labels feature on all of my important mail or when I just want to file stuff away for later.  The one problem I keep encountering is how to create new labels while in the iPad Mail app with Gmail.

I recently found two ways to solve this problem:

Solution #1 – Make sure you have iOS 5 installed on your iPad or iPhone.  Open the Mail app on your iPad or iPhone, choose your Gmail account from the Accounts section (below the Inboxes).  Then select the Edit button at the top, then select NewMailbox on the very bottom.  Here is where you can create the new label name.  Enter the label name and click Done(keyboard) or Save at the top, and then click Done button at the top.  Voilà! Your new label should now be available for use.

Solution #2 – Use the link to the full Gmail site:  https://mail.google.com/mail/h/  Normally I would never use Safari to read my email while on the iPad or iPhone, but this in theory is the only way to do this if you are still using iOS 4 and earlier.  I would have thought that using mobile Safari and surfing directly on over to mail.google.com would solve this problem but apparently the Google site detects that you are a mobile device and renders it as the mobile Gmail site, which surprisingly also prevents you from creating new labels.

If you have a better solution please let me know in comments section.

About these ads

About Breztech
Technology and Photography enthusiast. Husband. Father of three. Believer. Founder of Breztech Solutions LLC. http://BreztechSolutions.com Breztech Blog http://Breztech.net Breztech Photo http://BreztechPhoto.com

24 Responses to HOWTO: Create Gmail Labels on Your iPad / iPhone

1. Cindy says:

Very helpful! Thx!

2. Matt says:

The link to the full site did the trick. Wouldn’t have been able to navigate to it without the direct link, thanks.

3. Steve says:

Thanks for solving my label challenges.

4. Bonnie says:

YES ! I have been reading help blogs for an hour and FINALLY one that works for iPad / iPhone!
    I never would have chosen new “mailbox” !! duh ….maybe new “label”
    !!

5. Glad the tip helped. I still can’t believe there isn’t a more intuitive way. Maybe Apple/Google will decide to make their email app experience better some day soon…. iOS 6 maybe?

• Sharon says:

Thanks for the tip…worked beautifully …would never have figured this out myself.

• Roy Fischer says:

Baffling—I was excited after installing the app, it seemed like an elegant piece of work, but then I proceeded to drive myself crazy (before I found my way here) trying, not to create new labels as some here were stumped by, but simply to apply an existing label to an email. Can’t figure why they even bothered creating this app if they weren’t going to include the drag and drop functionality we’ve all come to expect.

Thanks for at least shedding some light on the subject.

• Jaime says:

My problem is that I want to apply an existing label to certain emails in my inbox, but don’t want to send them away to the “such&such project” mailbox, which means they may get overlooked (like out of sight, out of mind). Anyone know how to do that? I have an iphone, and am using IOS6.0

6. Bert says:

Thanks so much! You made my life easier!

7. Alice says:

Sad to say that this did not work for me. Despite using that link, I was directed to the mobile site. Arrrgh!

8. Veerle says:

I have ios 6 and this tip does not work… Any other useful hints? Thanks so much!

9. Stick with solution #1, I just confirmed it still works in iOS 6 on my iPad.

Regarding solution 2, it looks like Google pulled the rug out from us using the full gmail web experience and forces us into thei mobile site or their app. I will need to edit this section out.

10. Greetings! Very useful advice within this post! It’s the little changes that produce the greatest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

11. Zita says:

The link worked for me. Thanks. Greetings from Mexico.
    Zita

12. Greg Berry says:

Thankyou for the thread. I wouldn’t have figured it out using Apple’s terminology of creating a new mailbox.
    Greg Berry. Papua New Guinea

13. Having read this I believed it was very enlightening.

I appreciate you taking the time and energy to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading
    and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worth it!

14. Ann says:

Thanks so much for that!! Solution #1 worked for me

15. Pepper says:

you’re a genius. thanks so much

16. Thank you. Frustration relieved !!!

17. My brother suggested I might like this web site.
    He was totally right. This post actually made my day.
    You can not imagine just how much time I had spent for this info!
    Thanks!

18. I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest
    but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll
    go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on.
    Cheers

19. Kathie says:

It iss really a nice and usefuul piece of information.
    I’m satisfied that yoou shared this helpful info with us.

Please keep us up to date like this. Thak you for sharing.

20. Excellent site you have here.. It’s difficult
    to find excellent writing like yours these
    days. I seriously appreciate individuals like you!
    Take care!!